Monday, May 12, 2008

The Business of Parenthood

We have learned this year what we have dreaded, that you can't shield your kids forever. It just seems so soon! Once a month I am the helper mom at preschool and the last couple of months I have noticed that one little boy really enjoys talking about butts. Landon would sometimes join in and I would remind them that it's not okay to say those things. It hasn't really been an issue with Landon because he's really good about doing the things he's told...until yesterday. Since it was Mother's Day, the men took over all the women's responsibilities at church and our friend whose little boy is Landon's best friend took their primary class. As I was talking to him after church he told me that the boys got bored in class and started drawing pictures of butts! Mark had the foresight to ask whose idea it was and you guessed it, it was Landon's! I was mortified, but relieved that our friend was teaching class that day and not their regular teacher. So we had a little talk when we got home. Naturally it was one of those situations where you are trying your hardest to remain serious so they know they are in trouble, when inside you are laughing so hard it hurts. There should be some sort of parental Academy Award for keeping your composure when you ask them what the picture is and are informed so matter-of-factly that "that's a butt and there's its fart."

Here's a couple of pix from our heated game of Sunday afternoon croquet. It was a close one! Look out uncle Monte!

1 comment:

Goodrich Goodies said...

Amos-
I can't stop laughing about that! I can just picture Landon saying that so seriously!
I'll have to share with Aaron.

By the way, he still has his handlebar moustache!

Beth